Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How my green thumb came to be


In 2008 I lived in an apartment complex called Bala Sands on the west side of Orlando. Being new to the area I on occasion I would venture out and explore my surroundings. Being in a new area I needed to make sure I could find a few places; a grocery store, a gas station, a Chinese food spot, hardware store, river and cemetery. So in checking out the  local cemetery, BTW the best I've ever been to, I found it was surrounded by acres of wilderness. I found myself wondering the woods and in doing so I was somehow awakened by my surroundings. The birds, the wild animals the foliage and the sounds of nature. I had never seen an owl up close before, I had never seen so many different birds so many different plants...etc. Walking through the woods I stumbled upon an abandoned house over looking an adjacent lake. The house was a 3 bedroom 2 bath single story home with wood floors and a fireplace, it was beautiful, quite and secluded. Definitely off the beaten path and hard to find. Whomever lived their had created a vast garden that surrounded the entire property. I had never seen so many different types of plants and trees however one plant amongst a sea of other plants stood out, a plant I was actually familiar with. A plant appropriately named "Siempre Viva" came home with me that day. My first plant which gave life to my love of plants not to mention birthing at least a hundred mini "Siempre Vivas". Three years later my wild plant has moved three times, birthed many children, graces at least two homes and has at the moment thirty plus friends. And so my garden begins....



Scientific Name: Kalanchoe pinnata
Spanish Name: Siempre Viva, Prodigiosa 
English Name: Life Plant
Lukumi Name: Ewe Odundun

Care: Easy to care for plant, requires regular watering, very drought tolerant however if left for too long without water leaves will begin to turn yellow. Can survive direct sunlight however frequent watering required. Recommend partial shade with regular watering. Great house plant, thrives outdoors. Fast growing...


Siempre Viva is used in many baños and Ebos. It is also a principal plant used in making Omiero.

Related Posts



0 comments:

Post a Comment